Algeria - HR & HR Software Guide
Ranked as the 3rd most important economy in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, Algeria is one of the few countries that have managed to achieve 20% poverty alleviation in the past 20 years. The government took important steps to promote the well-being of its people by rolling out social policies keeping up with the United Nations Sustainable Development goals. Among other notable achievements, the country’s oil boom has enabled the government to invest in infrastructure projects, and improve Algeria’s Human Development Indicators.
Berber and Algerian Arabic
Presidential System, Semi-presidential System
Oran, Blida, Annaba, Constantine, Djelfa
The standard work schedule consists of 8 hours per day and 40 per week. Employees are allowed a full day of rest each week. Work performed beyond 40 hours in a week is considered overtime and must be paid at a minimum rate of 50% above the regular pay rate.
Overtime is allowed in exceptional circumstances, and an employer may ask an employee to perform overtime work no more than 20% above the legal maximum work hours.
HolidaysEmployees are entitled to the following national holidays (the dates of some vary according to the lunar calendar):
- Jan. 1: New Year’s Day
- May 1: Labor Day
- July 5: Independence Day
- Idul Fitr (date varies)
- Idul Adha (date varies)
- Awal Muharram (date varies)
- Ashura (date varies)
- Nov. 1: Feast of the Revolution
- Mawlid Ennabaoui (date varies).
Annual LeaveEmployees are entitled to annual leave at the rate of 2.5 days for each month of work. Annual leave can’t exceed 30 days in a year. Employees are not allowed to waive their vacation entitlement.
Sick LeaveEmployers are required to 50% of salary for the first 15 days of sick leave. The rate increases to 100% in the case of hospitalization or after the 16th day of sickness.
Maternity LeavePregnant employees are allowed to take 14 consecutive weeks’ maternity leave at full pay. Employees must take at least one week’s leave before childbirth. Maternity benefits are paid by social security fund. During and for up to 18 months after pregnancy, working women are entitled to one day’s leave each month to receive medical attention and care for the child.
Paternity LeaveMale employees are entitled to 3 days’ paternity leave for the birth of a child.
- Marriage Leave: Employers must give employees 3 days’ paid leave in the event of their marriage.
- Bereavement Leave: Employers must give employees 3 days’ leave to attend the funeral of a family member.
Pension and Social SecurityThe normal retirement age is 60 for men and 55 for women. Claimants must have worked 15 years to qualify for a full pension. Benefits are based on the employment and the employee’s age.
Workers’ CompensationAll salaried employees receive coverage against accidents at work and on the way to and from work. Employees who suffer an accident at work are entitled to reimbursement of the medical, hospital, and surgical care costs. Employees who are not able to work for a certain period due to an accident at work receive compensation for the loss of income.
Simplify workforce management in Algeria with Mihi HR Software.
- Accelerate employee onboarding with established workflows and guided processes that allow your new employees to hit the ground running from day one.
- Improve employee time tracking and leave management while ensuring compliance with local labor laws and work-time regulations.
- Store, manage, and track employee data on a single, secure system. Improve access and visibility, while built-in guidelines help you maintain legal compliance and audit readiness.
- Turn workforce data into actionable insights with extensive HR reporting and analytics. Make better, more informed decisions and accurately assess the status of your global teams.
- Provide your employees with the support they need with 24/7 access to our Employee Helpdesk.
- One HR software for your global needs
- Ensured compliance with in-country employment and labor laws
- Connectivity and integrations with ERP and Payroll systems
- Better workforce data and increased visibility of global teams
- Supporting 170+ countries and localized in 17+ languages
- Improved employee experience with employee self-service functionality and 24/7 employee support